I got the cutest ever cookie cutter a few months ago, I found it on eBay and they seem pretty easy to get hold of. Really great if you’re entertaining cat people or you just want you food to be cuter.
It’s easy to use, just use the cutter as normal and then press the face into it. It works better on biscuits that don’t rise like shortbreads etc but it still works on other types so experiment!
I used this recipe for my gingerbread cats. I love ginger so much, I could eat it all day. What’s your favourite biscuit?
350g plain flour (I use a blend of Doves Gluten-Free brown bread flour blend)
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
100g butter (I use vegetable fat rather than butter)
150g brown sugar
3 tablespoons golden syrup
1 egg (from our very own chickens)
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas 5.
- Sift together the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda. Dice the butter and rub in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Beat together the syrup and the egg, and stir into flour mixture. Knead with floured hands to form a smooth dough. If you’re using gluten free flour you might need to add a bit more at this stage as they all soak up moisture differently.
- Roll out on a floured worksurface about 0.5cm thick. Cut shapes until all of the dough has been used, rerolling the trimmings. Lay these on lined baking trays.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
I had a crisis whilst baking these. My oven doesn’t heat evenly so I have to turn things round half way through. I was mid turn when I dropped the tray and half the biscuits went crashing down to the bottom of the oven, getting stuck in the hinges. As this was happening the door bell rang, it’s always at the worst moment isn’t it! I rescued what I could and thankfully I had another tray of them baking at the same time.
Edit: I baked these again and added a small bag of chopped mix nuts and it made them even more yummy!